Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Two sells

I shared some of the stocks I purchased and thought I should share when I was selling them. In the last couple days I sold about 40% of my CLWR shares at $8.96. I had put in a limit order to sell 40% of my shares at a 50% gain and that order executed. Yesterday, I sold about a third of my PFG shares at $25.81, also with a limit order I had in place. This was the second tranche of PFG shares I sold. I bought the shares at the bottom of the market in March and I sold a third when it doubled and another third when it tripled. I actually like this company, so I still have a third of my original shares and need to decide if I want to keep it as a longer term holding, or set another limit order.

I also forgot to mention that I bought some HSBC ADRs (ticker HBC) in late June at $42.13. This was largely a macro purchase. I have been an admirer of the bank for a long time and decided to use some of my idle cash to buy shares. The stock pays a good dividend that I think is more likely to go up than down over the coming years. They are one of the best positioned banks in China and in emerging markets around the world. Because I am generally bullish, I decided a diversified global bank could be a long term holding. I do not have any limit orders in to sell this stock and plan to hold it for a long time. I think of this a core holding that I will probably add to over time. Lastly on HBC, the US is both a black eye and huge opportunity in my opinion. For investors in the stock, HSBC's entry into the US consumer lending business turned out to be ill-timed and a very costly mistake. At this point, I am willing to bet that most of the losses from that portfolio have been taken. Longer term, the US is really an opportunity for HSBC. Despite being one of the largest banks in the world, most Americans have never heard of it. They have a fledgling retail and private banking presence in a few large cities, but it represents a rounding error.

I am also using HBC as a way to improve my skills analyzing non-US companies, so I will make a more detailed post on this stock in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment